Saturday, December 27, 2008

MY favourite of The Year...

This isn't necessarily who I think are the best, it's more who my favourites are. Enjoy....

Favourite Albums
HipHop:-



G Unit- T.O.S. I was a fan of 50 and the Unit before he dropped Get Rich.. and I'm not afraid to admit that I'm into more commercial sounding rap. (I came up on Tupac and Eminem, Dre etc). This album is my fave HipHop album of 08, I know I'll get some stick for that but f*ck it, I like it. Crazy hard beats, all 3 of the Unit step up their lyrical game. This CD didn't leave my car all summer.

Other mentions should go to Ludacris' Theater of The Mind, T.I's Paper Trail, Lil Wayne's The Carter III. I'd also give Kanye's 808 and Heartbreaks a great rating. As I've said to many people, if he had rapped on it I would have given it a classic rating, the album is crazy, but I wish he spit on it, even just one verse a track, it would have killed it for me and would maybe have been my fave of the year.

RnB:-


RnB is my thing,I live it, love it, breathe it. This album didn't get received too well but I think it's a complete piece of work. Usher's vocal performance is his best yet, I mean, Moving Mountains is incredible. The production team is a who's who of the hottest cats doing it in 08, the only person missing is Ryan Leslie. The marketing behind the album wasn't great and resulted in crap sales by Ush's standards. The UK edition had a few throw aways like the Forever Young intro, Revolver and a few of the tracks towards the end but the hot joints were top class, songs you'd only expect from Usher. Controversial as this sounds...I actually prefer this to Confessions....there I said it! I LOVED confessions but this is a more varied, dynamic album.

Other faves are Day 26's debut Day 26, Danity Kane's Welcome to The Dollhouse, Neyo's Year of The Gentleman, Taio Cruz's Departure, Ray J's All I Feel, Janet's Discipline, Sterling Simms' Yours, Mine and The Truth and Mariah's E=MC2.

Favourite Song:
This is tough man but...I've gotta go on the track that I thought was CRAZY from the start and I still bump it now and that has to go to........






Ryan Leslie's Addiction and Ryan Leslie's How It Was Supposed To Be. Man, this guy blows my mind every time I hear his stuff. He and my SESAC fam Bryan-Michael Cox have been my biggest inspirations for years now, I've followed them both from the beginning of their careers (I know everyone says that but trust, I have! Haha). These two songs blend so many genres of music and appeal to such a wide variety of listeners, I just hope his album drops in 09 and Casablanca don't drop the ball promoting it like they have so far.

Producer/Songwriter of 08
Now I will always say B Cox and R Les, they can do no wrong-so I will exclude them haha. It has to go Tricky and Dream, man these guys bring the heat every time. The production is always different, the melodies catchy as hell and the songs are always tailored to the artists. Yeah Dream's melodies can get a bit repetitive but believe me, if you're sitting in a studio writing 3-4 songs a day, you're gonna repeat yourself! His song topics are the most original I have ever come across, along with Neyo who should also get a mention here.




Favorite Unreleased Song
I listen to a lot of unreleased music, I often find that some of the material that doesn't make the final cut because of politics and budgets etc are the better pieces of music. This song is a perfect example, I can't believe this didn't get on his album..Sterling Simms' In Pocket




Well there you have it, my musical favorites of 08!

No comments:

Post a Comment